Road Transport Data (Q1 2018)
The Q1 2018 road transport data reflected that 2,482 road crashes occurred in Q1 2018. Speed violation is reported as the major cause of road crashes in Q1 and it accounted for 50.81% of the total road crashes reported. Tyre burst and dangerous driving followed closely as they both accounted for 8.26% and 8.42% of the total road crashes recorded.
A total of 8,466 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded. 7,773 of the 8,466 Nigerians that got injured, representing 92% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 693 Nigerians, representing 8% of the figure are children. 6,394 male Nigerians, representing 76%, got injured in road crashes in Q1 while 2,072 female Nigerians, representing 24% got injured.
Similarly, a total of 1,292 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes recorded in Q1 2018. 1,186 of the 1,292 Nigerians that got killed, representing 92% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 106 Nigerians, representing 8% of the figure are children. 1,008 male Nigerians, representing 78%, got killed in road crashes in Q1 while 284 female Nigerians, representing 22% got killed.
Data source: National Bureau of Statistics