• The total number of road traffic crashes in Q1 2023 was 2,733, indicating a decrease of 24.44% from the previous quarter which recorded 3,617 and an 18.30% fall from 3,345 in Q1 2022.
• Of all crashes, serious cases stood top in Q1 2023 with 1,801 compared to fatal and minor cases with 677 and 255 respectively. In addition, the three categories of cases recorded a decline in the quarter under review relative to the preceding quarter.
• A total of 1,185 males were killed in Q1 2023, accounting for 82.23% of 1,441 persons killed, compared to 256 (17.77%) females killed.
• Also, a total of 6,386 males were injured during the period, indicating 76.58% of 8,339 injured persons compared to 1,953 (23.42%) females injured.
• A total of 4,095 vehicles were involved in road traffic crashes in Q1 2023, lower compared to the previous quarter which recorded 5,407, indicating a decrease of 24.26%.
• The North-Central recorded the highest number of crashes in Q1 2023 with 973, followed by the South-West with 678, while the South-South had the least with 122.
• Similarly, the North-Central recorded the highest number of casualties with 2,928, followed by the North-West with 2,323, while the South-South recorded the least with 464.
Data source: National Bureau of Statistics